Past three International Astronomy Olympiads
- Answers and proposals for future of IAO rules.
- Voting by ANRAOs and points of view of team leaders of every participating
country about some proposals to discuss
about future of IAO rules (published on March 27, 2008) should be sent
- Pre-application. Short reports.
- As an obligatory preparing for the application a short report
of National Olympiad of the current year has to be presented by
the applicating team (see the necessary actual points of the report,
its form and examples in the
Supplementary Instructions N 10).
The report with texts of all problems used during all-national stages
(including ones during the possible preparing camps) of the National
Olympiad should be done in one of the official languages of the
Olympiad (Russian or English).
The final minutes (protocols written in Latin or Cyrillic)
of the Olympiad (evaluating of solutions of the students participated
in the last stage of the Olympiad) should be included as well.
- For the countries, starting their activity at the International
Astronomy Olympiad (see the
Supplementary Instructions N 3),
the requirements for the short report are not strong.
- According to the IAO-regulations the report to be presented
5 weeks before the application.
Pre-application is desirable together with the short report.
- According to the information above the deadline for receiving
the short reports of Nationals Olympiads of the current year (with
a set of all problems used on the National Olympiads) is defined as 13
plus 5 = 18 weeks before the Olympiad:
- Not later than in five weeks after receiving the report (as usual -
the Chairman of the Olympic Advisory Committee will issue resolution
about possibility for the country to send full (or not full) team to the
IAO (i.e. solution about the representation quota: according to
or to # 5.2.2.
of the Statutes/Regulations the team may be form).
In cases the decision for some team is not clear the Chairman organizes
discussion in the Olympic Advisory Committee for the common issue.
- After receiving the resolution ANRAO may send application.
- Applications. Personal data for visas.
- The regular deadline
for receiving by LOC all
application documents and personal data
of proposed participants and leaders (maybe with some extra persons
for reserve) for asking valid for Italian Consulates
invitations (i.e. invitations for visas) 13 weeks
before the Olympiad:
- Special cases deadline. (See difference in fees at the LOC-web-site.)
It will be quite senselessly for the teams to send the
application documents and personal data
of participants and leaders for asking valid for Italian Consulates
invitations i.e. invitations for visas) later than 9 weeks before
- 4.5.1. The Olympiad participants are not supposed to study at
any institutions of higher education (university or school which
can be considered technical colleges). Students who finished their
school examination in the year of the Olympiad cannot be members
of a team even if they did not start university studies.
- The (age) groups are defined by rules 4.5.2-4., i.e.:
- 4.5.2. The junior group (conjunction of all points):
- 22.214.171.124. Students, never participated in IAOs before.
- 126.96.36.199. Participants not older than 15.00 years on January 1,
2008 (i.e. born in 1993 or later).
- 188.8.131.52. The last Form educating student cannot participate
in the junior group.
- 4.5.3. The senior group:
- 184.108.40.206. For the students never or one time participated in IAOs:
Participants not older than 17.00 years on January 1, 2008 (i.e.
born in 1991 or later).
- 220.127.116.11. For the students participated in IAOs more than one time:
Participants not older than 16.00 years on January 1, 2008 (i.e.
born in 1992 or later).
- 18.104.22.168. The last Form educating student may participate only in
the senior group.
- 22.214.171.124. Exception may be done for the first time participating
in IAOs students.
Every team may have one first time participating in IAOs student
whose age is 1 year older than it postulated by #126.96.36.199. (i.e.
born in 1990).
- 4.5.4. Participants of the both groups must be not younger than 14.00
years on December 31, 2008 (i.e. born before not later 1994).
- National representation quota at IAO-2008 is (up to) 5 students and
2 team leaders:
not more than 3 participants for the younger group, not more than 2
participants for the senior group. Observers are welcome as well.
- In the case of absence of a National team from a country, the regions,
cities and towns or individuals of this country state are responsible
(by a special permission) to take part in the 13th IAO.
National Astronomy Olympic Committees and interested organizations
are welcome to ask more about the 13th International Astronomy
The local organization of the XIII IAO will be done by the Astronomical
Observatory of Trieste, department of Italian
National Institute for Astrophysics (INAF).
The International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP),
located in 7 km to the North of the town center, will host the Olympiad.
The ICTP operates under a joint agreement between UNESCO, AIEA and the Italian Government.
Climate and weather of Trieste
Dr. Michael G. Gavrilov, Founding Chairman and Coordinator of the International Astronomy Olympiad (IAO)
ISSP of Russ. Acad. Sci., Institute avenue 15, 142432 Chernogolovka, Moscow region, Russia.
fax: + 7-(496-52)-49-701