- Pre-application. Short report.
Presenting the short report (see Supplementary
Instructions N 10) is optional.
Nevertheless, some infromation about the system of the National Olympiads
would be helpful for the IAO Committee and should be included into the pre-application file.
- According to the IAO-regulations the report to be presented
5 weeks before the application.
Pre-application is desirable
earlier or at least together with the short report.
- According to the information above, the regular deadline
for receiving pre-applications and short reports of Nationals Olympiads
of the current year (with a set of all problems used on the National
Olympiads) is defined as:
- 13 plus 5 = 18 weeks before the Olympiad (as per the rules):
June 1, 2018;
June 2018 (any day).
- Normally the Chairman of the Olympic Advisory Committee will issue resolution
about possibility for the country to send full (or not full) team to the
IAO (i.e. solution about the representation quota: according to
or to # 5.2.2.
of the Statutes/Regulations the team may be form).
Temporary rule for IAO-2018: any country may send full team.
- Applications. Personal data for visas.
- The deadlines for receiving by LOC all
application documents, personal data and scans
of passports of proposed participants and leaders (maybe with some extra persons
for reserve) are:
Regular application deadline:
Late application deadline:
- 13 weeks before the Olympiad (as per the rules):
July 6, 2018;
- shifted to 11.2 weeks before the Olympiad (according to common solution of OAC and LOC):
July 19, 2018, 24h of local time (UT+5:30).
Applications received since
- 9 weeks before the Olympiad:
August 3, 2018;
- shifted to 7.2 weeks before the Olympiad (according to common solution of OAC and LOC):
August 16, 2018, 24h of local time (UT+5:30).
August 4 August 17 will be very late.
Tentative schedule of the Olympiad
- Friday, October 5 - Arriving of some teams
- Saturday, October 6 - Day of arrival to Colombo
- Sunday, October 7 - Day of opening ceremony
- Monday, October 8 - Day of the theoretical round
- Tuesday, October 9 - Day of the observational round
- Wednesday, October 10 - Rest day, excursions
- Thursday, October 11 - Day of the practical round
- Friday, October 12 - Day of excursions
- Saturday, October 13 - Day of closing ceremony
- Sunday, October 14 - Day of teams departure
It will take about 1 hour to travel from the Olympiad venue to airport.
- Monday, October 15 - Departure of some teams
Dr. Michael G. Gavrilov, Founding Chairman of the International Astronomy Olympiad,
ISSP of Russ. Acad. Sci., Academician Ossipyan street 2, 142432 Chernogolovka, Moscow region, Russia.
fax: + 7-(496-52)-28-160